Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Red or Blue or Black or...

I'm at a Crossroads, LOL.

No, not that one.

I'm trying to decide something important.

Should I:

1. Keep playing Blood Angels, and start squeezing in new units. Plus or minus Astra Militarum or a Knight.

2. Go back to Ultramarines (my roots) but modernize with the Primarch and Primaris, and other new stuff.

3. Say screw it all, stop fighting for the good guys and go rogue? I have a unfinished, never used Black Legion force that would need to be severely updated.

Option 1 is pretty easy, I have a few yet unpainted but built reinforcements for the red guys.  I'm just finding that they will seem to struggle with the lack of turn 1 drops and other issues like the nerf to command point regeneration. It will be interesting to add back in the "revised" proposed rules for bolt weapons. A 5-man terminator squad throwing out 20 storm bolter shots instead of 10? OK... 

Option 2 is attractive, with the new Vigilus-related box set coming out soon. I really need to go all in on Primaris though. I did get the new Calgar and Friends box, but in reality I should just spring for the Primarch and go blue to the core. A new Librarian Character with possibly new spells? Not going to win any painting awards through. 

Option 3 has always been gnawing at my skull.  Whispers in the dark.  Black Legion and and new Abaddon and more hearken.  Lots of re-painting, repairs, and new stuff.  Easy to paint though...and maybe with a few demons for luck...Vigilus Book 2 will probably have a lot of special stuff for the Black Legion...It might be a good time to start something fresh.

Overall, it has been a hard winter for me to get games in - seems every Wednesday has snowed or I have a meeting, or a cold.  Ditto on monthly event Saturdays. What, like 8 games or something silly so far for the gaming year? Inconceivable!

BUT, April is coming.  I need to make a decision now and start tooling up for an April event.  April...

Red or Blue or Black...

MING

 




6 comments:

  1. So...do heavy bolters also get the new Bolter Beta Rule? It seems that way...To me that finally makes sense!

    Now if chain weapons were just better on a hit roll of 6...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bolter beta rule only applies to rapid fire weapons. It just adds two more conditions when the rapid kicks in besides half range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of cool options coming if you go Black Legion. One new character and what looks like a solid set in a boxed set. However are you prepared to paint that much gold trim?

    You may want to play around with the boys in red and find an alternative to slam captain CP chugged to make the army work. Intercessors and Terminators are more attractive post Chapter approved and Bolter beta rule.

    Boys in blue are not going to be much different than boys in red different characters and less assault orientated. Plus some Vigilus fun formations to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A while back I'd actually taken in a friends chaos army and totally repainted it and repaired it. My style of dry brushing works well on 10,000 year old chaos legionnaires. It seems like the Black legion is coming soon with alot of stuff...or is that Khorne on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also bonus, figured out to leave comments from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonus!
    Well, Vigilus Book 2 is coming, and I am ordering the Shadowspear supplement. Interesting times indeed! From a story standpoint, The Ultramarines ought to stand back and watch the Black legion deal with the orks and the genestealer cults...and then exterminatus the place afterward...from a universe-based viewpoint, not much left to do there except wipe it out, start over...once it cools...

    ReplyDelete