Monday, May 13, 2019

4 Days till HUZZAH! 2019

Huzzah! is a historical gaming convention, soon to have its 10th year!  It occurs this year May 17-May 19 in Portland, Maine.

Image result for huzzah 2019

I'll be there to play numerous games of Bolt Action (WWII historical, 28mm scale).

I'd originally started playing WWII historical games as a kid, then again in my late 30's when I caught up with some guys playing a rule set called "Battleground WWII". A few years ago that rule set fell from favor for others, and now is focused on the wildly successful "Bolt Action".

It is far simpler than Warhammer 40K.  At its basics, every unit hits on a 3+ and wounds on 4+, but then you add or subtract multipliers, such as +2 for hard cover, +1 for firing on the move, etc. Veteran units are harder to wound than regular units, etc.  Besides casualties, the other goal is to pin units by fire (or rally and unpin them).  Vehicles have a slightly different rule set for damage. Overall, you can play pretty much anything and any type of ground unit from WW2.

Often, the best thing is the terrain.  The group I've known for this long are all about creating the terrain, and they have some museum-quality diorama type boards to game on.

Friday will be Bolt Action open play for me.  Saturday I'll play in three different 40K narrative games - focused on the Russian Front or so.  I have my own stuff for Friday - some of my figures/models have not been used in games since probably the 60th anniversary of WW2!

Overall, if you can get to Portland, its worth popping by - there will be a lot of vendors selling all sorts of stuff, and a big variety of games going on.  More info is here:

https://tabletop.events/conventions/huzzah-2019

So, as a small tase of whay I'll be playing in the open gaming (they will have 12 or so tables Friday just for Bolt Action):

750 Points - Generic US Infantry Platoon, Regular (mechanised):

HQ: 1st Lieutenant and 2 runners
Jeep with MMG
Infantry Squad, 10 men, BAR
M3 Half Track with MMG
Infantry Squad, 10 men, BAR
M3 Half Track with MMG
M4 Sherman Tank with hull and coaxial MMGs

1000 Points - US Airborne Platoon, Veteran (mixed):

HQ: 1st Lieutenant and 2 runners
Paratrooper Squad, 10, LMG
Paratrooper Squad, 10
Paratrooper Squad, 10
Glider Infantry Squad, BAR
Support - Bazooka AT Team
Support - MMG Team
Support - Light Mortar Team
Support - Sniper Team
Artillery - Light Howitzer Gun with Team

I have all of the stuff above painted - but some need touchups and I cant figure out where the MMGs went for some of the vehicles.  A lot was painted over a decade ago too, and I was not working on creating art back then!

Overall, I'd signed up for the event a few weeks ago - many of the games are "full" or sold out -

Things on my list to buy at the event include several items for Bolt Action - pin markers, dice bag, american and german unit dice, and maybe some after market stuff.  Also will be looking for - if they have them - a Stugg III or Panzer III (for those rare games in North Africa), and maybe another squad of german infantry.  Also some additional scenario books.

All for now - look for some game photos and battle reports here starting next week from my Huzzah! experience!

  MING

   

No comments:

Post a Comment