Friday, November 22, 2013

Standish Standoff - Last Minute Prep

Tomorrow is the Standish Standoff - the bigger of two major 40K events hosted at Crossroad Games - my FLGS in Standish, Maine.

The last time I checked there were still 3 slots open for a possible field of 40.  Undoubtedly there might be some last minute cancellations, so if you are on the sidelines and have the day free, cmon over!  Registration will begin about 9 AM, pub quiz around 10 AM, and round 1 at 11 AM.  There is a fairly good painting competition as well, so bring a camera! 

Just as a disclaimer, I stake no claim to any success or issue of the event.  Frankly, I've been a non-participant in the running of these events since being a judge in the first one.  My only effort towards the event is just trying to publisize it via my blog when I can, because I really want to see the event reach its goal.  I did not help with the event rubric, terrain, nothing.  The only thing I did do was buy some new models and paint from Crossroads for improvements to the visual nature of my own list.

Tonight will be some last minute prep work - I need to create some game sheets to help me select and use all of the added abilities that 6th edition brings.  I need to print some list copies to provide my opponents and judges.  I need to pack up for easy travel.  And maybe if there is time finish additional details on the models to be used for the day. 

Overall, I'm playing what I've basically been using - a Tigurius-led 3rd Company strike force.  It is not bad, and depending on the wide variety of expected opponents, it should work well. 

One last decision is to scenic base the tray for the day, or not. Less than 2% of your score is for having a scenic display board, so right now it is the last thing on my mind. 

It will be interesting to see how the venue can handle the event.  Beginning this afternoon they'll place terain for 20 tables. 

Besides keeping after my own games, I have an interest in seeing what will happen at the top of the heap for rounds 2 and 3.  One interesting thing about this event is that there is a huge variety of ways to score - and it will be interesting to see how that will be handled to determine pairings and the overall winner(s).  We also do not know what the day's Tournament Director will select as missions, or how complex they will be. 

All for now, Have a Great Weekend!

 
   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment