Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Analytical thinking or Am I Thinking Too Much

I'm working on getting my MoJo back on 40K. 

This weekend, I went to the Huzzah!! Gaming Con, to visit friends and see the vendors.  In particular, one vendor I follow - from new Hampshire (Adler Hobby's Board Game Cafe) - had stated they were bringing gaming mats from Frontline Gaming - and I wanted to get one! So I got the pretty cool Scrapyard mat. It was interesting - they had come with maybe 30 mats, and by the time I got there noon on Saturday they were down to 3. Everybody wants one! 

I also bought from them the Bolt Action 2nd Edition rule book. I have the models - I just needed the rules! BTW, Bolt Action is a fun, easy game - my FLGS, Crossroad Games - will hopefully have a Bolt Action day monthly.  Its kinda funny.  Bolt Action uses points.  Bolt Action was designed by a guy who has roots to 40K. Bolt Action also has strong links to osprey publishing.

I digress.

Back to 40K:

Last night was all about looking at a means for my brain to analytically compare units. 

I took out a pencil (a valuable skill at that), and started a simple table.

The goal was to more clearly see the point efficiencies in terms of getting the maximum number of wounds on the table and the maximum number of dice in the shooting phase. 

Unit name, points, weapon points, total points, wounds, firepower (number of dice it fires), and then calculated some factors: wound value (total points divided by #wounds), and fire value (total points divided by #firepower). I did it this way so most numbers would be greater than 1, vs the reciprocals where they would be smaller than 1.

Then I ran the numbers for some typical units in the Blood Angels codex just to see where they would be.  I also allowed be time to really examine the details. 

It really started to show some interesting things that you may already know. 

Twin-assault cannon razorbacks are better than twin assault cannon predators and they are better than twin assault cannon Baal Predators.

Intercessors with bolt rifles are better than scouts with bolters who are better than tactical marines with bolters.

Some of these things you may already know. 

Overall, it is for me like one of those questions in College-level economics class on a decision to buy or not. 

I have more details to evaluate, but it starts to lead one down the path of looking to improve the model collection as a means to get more competitive. 

I'll see if I can get you some interesting tidbits tomorrow.

As a weird teaser, did you know of the vehicles, the Blood Angels vehicle with the best Wound Value is the WHIRLWIND? And it is right up there for Fire Value too with the Castellan launcher. 

Overall, the premise is that Space Marine Players need to be more points efficient. 

I may look to add a quality factor of some kind to balance out stuff. 

Interestingly, if you create a Quality Factor = wound value divided by the fire value, a Tactical Squad has a Quality Factor = 1.  Hmmmmm.......

MING  





   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment