Thursday, June 28, 2018

Once a King Always a King

But Once  a Knight is Enough...

I got time to play 40K  First time in maybe two months?  Crazy how time flies! 

Crazy how the game changes!

This ain't the 40K of 2 months ago...

I showed up at the FLGS - late due to nearby road construction.

I was very happy to get paired vs one of our best local players. 

And yes, at 2000 points, his list was pretty simple.

3 Chaos Knights - each armed differently.

A Bloodletter Bomb (30 or so models in one blob)

A Pink Horror Bomb (25+ pinks and a single blue)

A Chaos Sorceror

A Chaos Demon Prince

2 units of Nurglings

Well, I had a list designed to take care of maybe one knight...

Here at setup.  I had started with 10 CP's, and used some to give me two relics, make my Captain death company, and move my death company out to the right flank.  My opponent only deployed the Knights and used his CP's to put 4 units into reserves.  We were fighting over just two objectives worth 3 points each, plus LB, STWL, and FB.

 Beginning of turn 1.  Nurglings are going to move up to charge followed behind by the Knights! 

On my right, shooting is done, and the nurglings are charging the Baal predator. 

Meanwhile on the left flank, the Knight there moved up and charged the Death Company!

 Here in the Blood Angels Turn 1, the Damaged Baal moves back a bit and the nearby tactical squad moves to screen them.  Killshot is used, but the the Predators fail to wound the Knight on the right - but the center Knight loses some wounds.  

At the end of Turn 1, the Death Company are gone, having just scratched 4 wounds off the Knight...

In Turn 2 the Knights continue their forward advance. 


Here at the beginning of Turn 3, the Pink Horror Blob is wrapping around a building, still keeping one toe at the objective.  Not that during Turn 2, the Blood Angels reinforcements had arrived and assaulted the damaged knight in the center...it was dispatched.  

By the end of the Chaos Turn 3, the predators were all gone, the Tacticals, and everything else was gone too.  


Eventually in Turn 4 it was down to three separate combats - the Captain vs the Demon, the Sanguinary Priest vs a Knight, and Lemartes and a Sanguinary Ancient vs another Knight.  I've got no CPs left to spend. 

I'm Tabled mid Turn 4. Chaos wins 9-0.

 A deployment mistake I made was that I had no idea he had Nurglings.  I was deploying the tacticals and Sniper Scouts and Aggressors to screen my deployment zone from the turn 2 drops...that caused some issues.  The Aggressors should have been deployed behind cover, and the predators all on the far back edge.  Those elements might have preserved me enough to get to the bottom of Turn 4.  I also needed to better guess how far the Knight on the far-left would get.  Although the Death Company were fairly safe from shooting, they were just too close! 

Overall, as a practice this game went pretty well. I remembered pretty much everything I wanted to get done.  My opponent did remind me to do my CP spends for pre-game stuff earlier (before deployment) where appropriate.  And we shared some ideas on making a slightly better Blood Angels List.  We will see in the next game!  My next practice game will be Monday against a primaris heavy Imperial Fists force...

All for now,

MING
   




 

4 comments:

  1. Of note is that I did have enough CPs to get Kill Shot off - on turn 1 and turn 2 - from one of the predators. I shot the knight on the right with the 4-lascannon predator on turn 1. In response, my opponent used a CP to rotate his ion shields, getting a 4++ save on that knight. I hit 4 times! Wounded twice! He saved each wound. The aoutcannon-lascannon pred then opened up on the center knight and I got 4 wounds on it....

    In turn 2, the longer range predators focused on the center knight, the damaged Baal went after the nurglings. The extra damage from the knights helped to make sure it would be eliminated by the arriving blood angels reserves.

    Overall, after the game, we assessed my list and determined to make some changes - in the revised list I have dropped the blood angels troops and and whirlwind, and instead brought in a Catachan battalion of 3 troop squads with flamers, a commissar, and Colonel Strachan, and a detachment of 3 mortars. So I swapped out 16 models with 26 wounds (and essentially 2D6 mortar rounds) for 35 models with 44 wounds (and essentially 3D6 mortar rounds), plus other benefits. Should be an interesting test for the next game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sp - autocannon
      commissar - the HQ kind, not the elite lower level version...

      Delete
  2. I feel the pain. I’ve gotten in maybe 2-3 games since the Standoff. Oh well should get to doubkenthat this weekend. Three knights looks rough but proper use of screens and focusing you fire can help a lot. Also space on the long guns.

    ReplyDelete