Friday, September 21, 2018

Blood Angels 1750 Evolution

Read this post with a Scottish accent. It ends up that most of the (last) video casts I'm watching nowadays are from the UK...

Yes, the current list (previous post) just is not doing it for me. 

I played a game vs Tau on Wednesday.  My opponent is pretty awesome in playing, and I've lost more games to him than won, so he always presents a great challenge for me.  My opponent started with a full "infantry" brigade and a "drone" battalion, so he had lots of CPs to start. So yeah, 6 squads of warriors and at least 3 units of drones.  I wish I had a detailed list, because it is pretty good.  Lots of characters to hand out bubbles, lots of targeting lasers to give other benefits.  Not very mobile.

We rolled up the mission where you can steal "secure" objectives. 

He won the roll to go first and I seized.  I'd only held the Hammer Captain, Lemartes, and the Jump DC in reserve to drop in on Turn 2.  We played to 5 turns. 

At the end, I'd lost the game (no photos - the lighting was poor), about 18 to 12.  We were back and forth through turn 4.  A great hand draw on Turn 5 for him really created the points gap.

Overall, my list weaknesses (to be fixed) before tomorrow's FLGS tournament include:

1. In "mustering" I have an issue with relics to really take advantage of the CP farming abilities.  I need another (unnamed) character in the Blood Angels in order to get Veritas Vitae, and I need make the warlord one of the company commanders in order to obtain the two sources of CP recovery. The goal is to have all three elements of CP recovery, in order to get the most benefits.  The negative of this is that the Captain loses his warlord trait (his FNP save as death company will only be the 6+ rerolling 1's which is far worse than the 5+ rerolling 1's I currently use).

2. The snipers pretty much accomplished nothing. I really need three more mortars.  I'll see what I can do, so it probably means cobbling together another group of three mortars tonight (if I have the bits) or getting in three heavy bolters.  In fact, as the FLGs may not have updated their mission packet to current ITS missions, I can save some points by adding the heavy bolters to the astra militarum squads.  This means these 10-man squads now become 9-model squads...I need to check the astyra militarum stratagems and see if they can get hellfire shells on those to create a source of mortal wounds.

3. Catachan vs Cadian? I'm probably just going to go Cadian.  Although I'm not sold on it, Cadian rules and stratagems may be better for this particular list since the Astra Militarum tend to just sit back and shoot.

4. Need to spread the death company special weapons around.  I talked about that in the last post.

Long term, I need to look at a way to shut down or bypass invulnerable saves on my opponent's largest models. In this case (seen in other games too), large models with 4+ or 3+ invulnerable saves are pain.  In the game this week, on Turn 3, I was able to use the Captain to multi-assault several tau units including the Riptide.  The Riptide (slightly wounded) ultimately was attacked by 4 jump death company (TH, PA, 2 PS), and the Captain (TH/SS).  Using all of the stratagems I could muster, including having the DC attack twice, the Riptide survived with three wounds, which in the bottom of the turn was increased to 6 wounds, and ultimately (after flying out of combat) the Riptide shot the DC off the table. In the following turn 4, the Captain and Lemartes (survivors of Turn 3 Tau love) moved on to multi-assault the center of the tau line, using up the remainder of my CPs, eliminating an ethereal, the remainder of the Tau drones, and two other warrior squads...in response, the Riptide, and three other Tau characters, totally destroyed the Captain and Lemartes.  It was bad.

6+ FNPs on the death company are as bad as they sound.  Might as well not have it.  Just wastes time.

Overall, I made some other mistakes - I probably should have just started with everything on the table.  The Stormraven could have done more on Turn 1 (shot down on Turn 2).  Stuff like that. 

The Astra militarum - except for the mortars - did not do much in the game. Except for what CPs they provided - might as well have had just three full units of mortars....which if I had the models...

Anyways, all for now.  Happy Friday and see you across the table! After this weekend, my list will stay Blood Angels bu totally change with the death company theme being changed to the golden host...remember those experiments where I ran equal points of anything Sanguinary vs DC counterparts and golden painted stuff wrecks everything black? Yeah...

Overall, it has been fun running a DC themed list.  The counts-as Catachans might as well be fluffy Baal defense auxiliary...

All for now,

MING   

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment