Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Up-scaling Blood Angels to 1750

I have a minor tournament at my FLGS on Saturday, 1750 points.  But September is such a busy time!

For the sake of consistency, I'm continuing my theme of using all of the painted death company marines in my collection and supporting units (Battalion plus vanguard detachment, 9 CP) and then added to it exactly 250 points of Astra Militarum (Catachans Battalion, 5 CP):

Blood Angels (1500):

  • Company Captain with JP/TH/SS/AW relic (all set to become death company)
  • Chaplain Lemartes
  • Mephiston, LOD, smite, shield, wings, quick
  • Death Company, 10, with Jump Packs, 2 PA, 3 PS, 1 PF, 1 TH
  • Death Company on Foot, 10
  • Death Company Dread, Blood Talons, melta, storm bolter, magna grapple
  • 3 tactical squads, 5 ea, 1 flamer
  • Stormraven Gunship, TLLC/TLMM, HBs, 2 SSMLs
  • 3 Flamer Aggressors


Astra Militarum (Catachans, 250):

  • 2 company commanders (las pistols and chain swords) (more relics)
  • 1 Infantry squad with a flamer
  • 2 Infantry squads, no upgrades
  • 1 special weapons squad, 3 snipers
  • 1 heavy weapons squad (3 mortars)

My intent was to go all-Angels and include a Jump Lieutenant and Plasma Inceptors, but I'm not done yet with them - who knows? Maybe I'll have them done before the weekend!

This current list does let me 14 CP, and the ability to maybe farm up some more.  One of the things for me to remember is that the Blood Angels stratagems do allow me some interesting things that I'm learning from my favorite battle reports and bloggers.

1. You can turn more than 1 character to death company using the stratagems.  If I add in the Lieutenant, he becomes more resilient and benefits from the black rage and, it helps on making sure the Captain and others really max out on wound production.

2. You can use two stratagems on turn 1 to get the Death Company into position - one to get the jump squad a free move and advance forward, the other to bring Lemartes forward with them. Let the jump pack death company use the 3D6 assault rerollable, on turn 1.

3. The warlord trait that supports the Captain best (5+FNP when he goes DC), ALSO gives a reroll 1's on that FNP...I have no idea how many times I did not remember that!

4. I have to see if I can get another Death Company marine (on foot) modeled and done, to get some of the power weapons spread around.  It would be good to have a hidden thunder hammer in there.  Speaking of which, the power axes on the jump DC just need to go...in this edition, power axes seem like a waste of points for blood angels compared to power swords or other choices.

5. Overall, between pre-game CP uses and the deployment CP uses, I'd end up starting the game with about 8 CP remaining. The key is to get the Astra Militarum deployed first, so their relics can possibly recover the 3+ or so CPs the Blood Angels use in deploying or turn 1.

As for the Astra Militarum, I have a interesting conundrum.  Models.  Frankly I'd drop the snipers for another heavy weapon squad - but I'm out of mortars!  Heavy bolters cost a bit too much for a swap. Also, I'm using the Catachan faction, but the models are bog standard guard in green and tan with no red bandannas or big giant knives...

If anyone local wants to trade some Catachans for some Tallarn, let me know!  I'll consolidate to Catachan if you want some cool (metal) Tallarn characters and about two squads worth of infantry all painted and ready to go!  Painted or unpainted or in the box Catachans are fine...I only have about 2.5 squads worth of Catachans at the moment and more are needed!

I love the Catachans for their +1 S and ability to reroll flamer hits.  As you may recall, my earlier 2000 point list swapped out the company commanders for Strakken and a Lord Commissar. Strakken adds a lot of fun when running a small force he can lead. Overall, keeping the Catachans in my list (as above) means I need to cull out some Astra Militarum stratagems, relics, and a cheat sheet on their orders! It all adds up in complexity...this gets me thinking...if I drop the flamer from the bloos angels tac squad, I can give those points to the Catachans for another flamer...

Overall, this list will give me a large number of bodies...could be interesting! Hope to practice on Wednesday and Friday...going 2-1 for the day on Saturday would be awesome.

MING



No comments:

Post a Comment