Monday, January 15, 2018

Blood Angels list musings - feedback?

I was going to title this Blood Angels Blues, but it just did not sound right.  I'll try here to change my blues into musings.

I spent the evening yesterday re-imaging two pre-codex Blood Angel lists (posted last fall) into updated / new codex- and FAQ compliant lists.

Yes, if you did not see it, on Sunday  (1/14/18) GW posted a FAQ for the new Blood Angels codex, which only changed three things, basically:

  • Updated corrected wargear options for an Intercessor Sergeant;
  • Updated corrected wargear for a Company Champion
  • Reduced point cost for Predators (dropping them to base 90 points). 

None of these things helped my list building (revising a 1500 point list and a 1750 point list).

Now, several podcasters have created their own reviews for the BA codex.  The biggest review was by miniwargaming.com (who had catalogued what appears to be every change between the prior and new codex and added up the changes).  All of these had set a tone for my thoughts on list building.

Then I got to work, with the following expectations:

  • Some stuff would cost less;
  • Some stuff would cost less;
  • Some stuff would be more fun;
  • The big thing is the stratagems.

The first things I found were:

  • Although some stuff was less on the base end, some wargear was now more;
  • Some wargear options don't exist any more;
  • The result is I end up taking less;
  • The best options mean a massive re-tooling may need to happen.
Examples of things I need to now consider based on my initial work:

1. Sanguinary priests - in the codex cannot take jump packs or power weapons.  Of all things, Frontline Gaming says that the jump pack-capable version of the Sanguinary Priest in the Index Volume I was still allowable.  I facepalm to think that the FAQ just out just did not add the option (although it added small tweaks to the Company Champion and I-Sergeant). All of my 7th edition lists used not only Jump packs, but also Power Axes.  I have not gone back to the Index version to see if Power weapons are allowed on JP-capable priests, but it they are, I will, and it may raise some eyebrows...Otherwise I need to retool them to pistols and mag-locked chainswords.  Or just not use them.  

2. Yay! Inferno Pistols went down in points.  Boo! Other stuff overall went up!  I had to remove some wargear on 1750 point lists to get them overall below the cap. So the overall expectation of getting more is wrong.   

3. Death company - Most every DC model I have is holding a bolt pistol and chainsword or other power weapons.  As pointed out, all they need is a chainsword to get an extra attack, and for the same points (0) you can have a boltgun instead of the bolt pistol.  There is no need for a pistol now EXCEPT for other kinds of pistols if you can get them in - like hand flamers or inferno or plasma or grav pistols.  Otherwise, bolters are just fine. Shoots more, further, longer, so far pistol shooting has been rare for my models locked in CC. Luckily I also have DC marines already holding bolters.  I'll just paint up some sprues of DC chainswords and mag-lock them to the bolter DC marines, and then paint up more of the Jump packs too (black primer, some red, silver, parchment, good to go!)!  Looks like I need to order more magnets. 

4. Razorbacks - OMG why did I not see this earlier?  Las-plas razorbacks cannot be built from the codex.  It cannot be selected from the upgrades, and twin-plasmaguns are not even an option to buy. Sneaky, but it is in line with the fact that you had to model your own.  I suspect that Forgeworld, who had/has las-plas razorback turrets will have them embedded somewhere in their own rules and books, hopefully at a competitive price.  If you have a new book and it saus the BA's can use them let me know! So yeah, I have extra homework tonight to see if they are gone from the SM codex too.  If so I had not seen that.  Means that I have to re-tool every las-plas razorback turret to either twin-AssCan or twin LasCan variants.

So, if you read this far, here is an example list (for your review - more or less at 1750, 8 CP):

Dante
Mephiston
Chaplain w/ JP, pistol, crozius (upgradable to angels win relic)
Sanguinary Priest, BP/ChS

Assault marines (5) w/ JP, IP, 2xMG, PAxe
Assault marines (5) w/ JP, IP, 2xMG, PFist
Assault marines (5) w/ JP, 1 PS

Death Company (9) w/JP, 1 PS, 1 Paxe, 1 PF
Sanguinary Guard (4), 1 PF, 1 IP, angelus boltguns and encarmine swords
Sanguinary Ancient (1), angelus boltgun, encarmine sword, Company standard (upgradable to relic standard)

Tac Squad (5) w/ flamer
Tac Squad (5) w/ flamer
Scouts (5) w/ sniper rifles and cloaks

Drop pod w/ deathwind launcher
Drop pod w/ deathwind launcher

So, here we have a list that has four units (Dante, chaplain, priest, ancient) that can create enhancement bubbles (Dante = reroll missed hits/fearless bubble, chaplain reroll assault hit misses, priest - ads +1 strentgh ans can heal/raise from dead).  Everything but the scouts can start off-table and drop in turn 1 (unless the OPFPOR can stop that).  Add to that the red thirst and black rage, and stuff can get interesting.  Mephiston and the priest can ride separately in the drop pods.  Throw in some stratagems, and we might have something really thematic here!

Imagine the storyline - the scouts eye the target.  Then the Blood Angels force drops in - and goes right to the assault on the key targets.  If needed the assault force could break to two or so separate assault groups, such as Mephiston/tac/pod and the Chaplain and DC going in one group, the Dante/sanguinary/ancient/tac/pod/priest in the other.  The Blood Angels just pour into the assault, looking to create a devastating turn on the OPFOR in their deployment zone.  After that, stratagems help to move the JP units around to the next target.  For lists above 1750, (like 1850) I can just add more Sanguinary Guards or DC marines.  

Compare the list above to this (more or less 1750, 6 CP):

Dante
Mephiston
Death Company (8) w/ Jump packs, 1 PS/1 PAxe/1PFist
Tac Squad (5), FL
Tac Squad (5), FL
Tac Squad (5), FL
Razorback, TL AssCan, HKM
Razorback, TL AssCan, HKM
Razorback, TL AssCan, HKM
Stormraven Gunship, HBs, TL LasCan, TL MM, SS Missiles

Overall, since ArmyBuilder still offline for 40K, it is such a PITA to write up new lists and make sure they are complete!  To that end, I have my own Excel template now for doing it, but the challenge so far is making sure it is accurate and reflects all the changes / nuances in the new CODEX!  I can only imagine how hard it is for everyone else.  

Crazy!

Overall, I got to finalize a 1500 point list quick to play on Saturday if I'm going to the local FLGS's tournament.  Could essentially do it dropping some wargear/razorback off the list above.  We shall see!  Its a job for tonight! 

As always, your feedback is appreciated.  

MING    

2 comments:

  1. For your jump pack list, remember that in Matched play you can't start more than half your units off the board.
    Half those units are going to have to hop across the board, suffering fire from Hellblasters and the like for at least a turn or so.
    Deathwind Launchers are awful in this edition, in my opinion. Random shots, no AP, and awful range. Drop a Deathwind pod at 9" and you get 1-6 shots. Drop a storm bolter pod in the same spot and you get four shots every time. Outside 12"the storm bolter can still actually shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Deathwind launchers are now more like tickle fart launchers. Going WYSIWYG, I'd need to rectafit my pod collection to storm bolters. So many changes...

    Was not too worried about the half-drop issue - DC has stratagems for that. I may polish the top list to have Rhinos instead of pods and try to use the extra points for something else, like more marines. If anything, I need to make the assault element units bigger...

    ReplyDelete