Friday, August 2, 2019

Here it is - no more delays!

It's finally time I got around to this!  It's my wrap up of the July Rockport Invitational!

1500 Points - Narrative Team Event

Synopsis: The Imperium vs Everyone Else - 9 tables each with their own city-fight based scenario, 3 rounds, attackers and defenders! Team Captains determined the parings for each table.  I was on the Imperium side...we lost but narrowly. Terrain was awesome, the food was awesome, the beer was awesome, it was a great day and I thank the host for putting it on!

Here are some army tray shots (just part of the 18 competitors):

My display board...Its a new Calgar model!  

Looks wet and death-world muddy...

The claw...and chaos....

So misguided...GSC...my round 1 opponent...

Don't be snotty...be nurgly green!

Well, spray on tans for dreads are a hit...

Ummmm...

Bugs....my round 2 opponent...very creative!  

Waaaaaaaaauuuuuuggggghhhhh! Round 3 opponent...

Shiny...

My List: (1500 pts, 11 CP)
Battalion Detachment
Marneus Calgar, Warlord, Ultramarines, Adept of the Codex
Chaplain in Terminator Armor
Infiltrator Squad (5)
Infiltrator Squad (5)
Scouts (5) w/ Camo Cloaks, 4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Heavy bolter
Terminator Squad (5), 1 Cyclone Missile launcher, homer
Venerable Dreadnought, TLLC, HF, DCCF
Landspeeder, HB/TML
Suppressor Squad (3)

Spearhead Detachment
Lieutenant in Phobos Armor
Eliminator Squad (3)
Whirlwind (Castellan launcher)
Whirlwind (Castellan Launcher)

The list has a few multi-purpose functions.  The major ones are -

(1) As Ultramarines, everything is +1LD, and can withdraw and shoot at -1.
(2) Calgar was the focus of a firebase, giving rerolls to hit. This fire base would normally consist of the Venerable, and two whirlwinds and Landspeeder.  His warlord trait helps to reclaim CPs.
(3) Snipers would take advantage of hellfire rounds on the HB to create more mortal wounds. 
(4) Lieutenant, Terminators, and Chaplain created a deep strike reaction force.
(5) Snipers and Infiltrators could deploy forward to create early game board control.

The Games
Overall, I feel like I failed. The list always started strong, but failed around turn 5. Here is a run down of my games and pairings - plus or minus remembered details...

Game 1.  Slay the Warlord.  I was the defender, and had to deploy my warlord and a few other units in the table center - in this case a four floor ruin and bunker/trenhline. My opponent would deploy around the table edges. My units that were destroyed could become a never ending tide.  My other units could enter from a table edge.  If my Warlord died, the opponent won.  No other primary win conditions. My random secondary was to have a single unit pass three morale checks. My opponent - Genestealer Cult!  Needless to say, Calgar died in the ruins around Turn 3, and the unit I hoped to take 3 morale checks also died.  My opponent won. 

Overall, and I passed this on to the team leader - was that Calgar should have started the game on the top level of the ruin...it might have helped! On turn 1, I was totally surrounded by Blips...no place to run.  In reality, it was pretty close. Huge GSC casualties.  Very fun game.  However, rock saws, GSC deep strikes within 9-inches, etc., and horrible eliminator dice rolls were all were painful. At the end of the game I had zero points for my team.

After deployment...its like the Alamo...

Reserves arrive, but too late...

Game 2. Don't Kill the Troops. I think I was the attacker this time. Table quarters deployment.  Primary scoring was killing for points: +3 for warlord, +2 for all other units except troops, -1 (yes minus) for killing troop choices.  My randomly selected secondary was something I could not get, like "kill a flyer".  My opponent was Tyranids.  He had a Warlord, 2 other HQs, one Elite, and 6 troop choices. Probably 94 bug models.

At the end of the game, I had zero points for my team. My opponent only had a wounded warlord off in the far far table corner, I still had Calgar and a few other units. I'd lost like a score of 8-0. This game was just a tremendously bad pairing.  But I'd killed 93 bugs in the process. Had to.  They were all over me. Actual loss score was probably 8-0.

Turn 1 begins...bugs on the move! I have a bit of buggle wrap...but it wont last!

Game 3. Keep the Loot.  In this game there were about 6 objectives, and you scored points at the end of each battle round (after the first) for the number of objectives you held. We had table quarter deployments again. In this case, my infiltrators and eliminators and scouts captured objectives during deployment - so I started the game with 4 out of 6.

My opponent was Orks!  They had two or so truk-borne boyz mobs, two or three grot mobs, commandos, Zaggstruck, jumping boyz, meganobz with a truk, weirdboy, and relic shock attack gun, warboss on bike, mechboy on bike, something like 90 models (again).

I started off with more objectives, but I started to lose two of them pretty quick. One objective got cleared of eliminators, captured by orks, recaptured by the landspeeder, recaptured by orks, cleared of orks...in the end I'd lost again, but might have scored my secondary for my team. Final score was probably 5-3. Giant ork dead pile.

Mid game...Chaplain vs the horde...gotta respect that! 

Cleanup crew bringing in the pain... 

In Closing....
Overall, in looking at the list, the Chaplain just did not deliver, and the new eliminators were a disappointment.  Since then I saw a eliminators tactica video which recommended just using the frag rounds...

My MVPs were the Whirlwinds and Terminators and Calgar and Landspeeder. 1500 points is a difficult spot for list building...If I do it again I'll use three Whirlwinds...I love the fact they can hit the entire table.

Since then, I've played a game using the 2000 point list from earlier this summer, but had to swap in a replacement for the regular dreadnought.  Overall, I slaughtered the Nurgle opponent's units but fell short again towards the end...I'm peaking mid game...

Feedback on my list variants is to drop the Chaplain. 100+ points for a storm bolter 2+/4++ dude who is mediocre in close combat it just too bad.  He does provide a CC benefit, but fails his ncharges half the time. The new concept is to replace him with a jump-pack captain with a hammer...similar number of shots, but far better in CC and still provides a reroll bubble.  The other concept is to consider replacing the phobos lieutenant (who can deep strike with the terminators) with a cheaper lieutenant and just deploy it with the warlord at the fire base.  Rerolling those 1's to wound from the very start would earn lots of benefits downrange. The other concept is to replace Calgar and the Lieutenant with Bobby G...(who I just purchased and will build/paint this weekend...)...

All for now.  I have other things to try...but yeah, my losing streak is probably 12 games in a row...I'm continuing to bring in new models now...painting stuff...I like the new contrast paint for Ultramarines as their base coat...it helps on the transition to Primaris...But....

Still having my worst gaming year ever,

MING

No comments:

Post a Comment